Re: S100 VDP success

Hi Andrew,

The additional caps across the V9938 power pins are an attempt to make the video less noisy. They didn’t seem to have much effect. I suspect the noise I’m seeing on the video signal on the CRO may be due to the routing of the power lines for the video amp through the dynamic RAM circuit. (lots of hash from the refresh?) Maybe the video output could be routed away from the RAM and separate traces for the video amp power from the regulator provided.

The extra pull up on DHCLK p3 of the V9938 (and cut trace to R53) is there because I was worried that the 5.37MHz output would be doing something to the LightPen inputs LPS and LPD.

The 470 ohm pull downs on R, G and B outputs  (p22, p23 and p24) on the V9938 are there because I suspected I may have damaged the COMP_VIDEO output (p21) and needed the pull downs to get the internal transistors to drive – the output was OK as it turned out.

The reset circuit needs some changes. The V9938 is not receiving a “power on” reset because BRD-RESET* is being gated by SYNTMS* at U27C. (SYNTMS* is reset at turn on by BRD-RESET*). The V9938 has to the manually reset by toggling SYNTMS*.

I have tried the FMS6141 video amp configuration and it works fine.

Parts of the board working/not working:

1. Address decoding – working but could do with changes to make more MSX compatible – as you’ve said.

2. Reset circuit – only working manually – see comment above.

3. Composite video output – working but noisy – power routing?

4. Video RAM – working – I tried adding in 100 ohm resistor in the RAS,CAS and R/W* lines (like some MSX2 designs I’d seen) to reduce ringing. It didn’t reduce the video noise but it may be a good idea anyway.

5. BT478 – I haven’t tried yet but maybe we can route the RED, GRE and BLU outputs to a header for a DBS15 connector to drive a 15kHz VGA monitor.

Best regards
Leon Byles