Hi Dave! Thanks! The story on the S-100 68K CPU board is that I got frustrated with its poor layout and trace route optimization. It was stalled out at 375+ vias and held there for literally months and never seemed to make much progress in the optimizer. I think the problem was the chips were oriented up and down versus side to side like all of the other S100computers.com and N8VEM S-100 PCBs. It was just an “odd duck” and never seemed to fit in or do well.
Considering its lack of progress, I did an experimental V3 board where I reoriented all the chips and reworked the PCB layout completely. Wow! What a difference it made! After only about 3 to 4 weeks of optimization the S-100 68K CPU board is now at 204 vias and dramatically less overall trace length. Since there were no changes to the schematic or resulting circuitry I think the board should operate as well if not better than the prototypes.
I am thinking that the new S-100 68K CPU board should actually be done much sooner than otherwise would have considering the rate of progress has improved so much. There is no way to recover the lost months but at least we are now on a path to a solid board without overly complex trace routing.
The S-100 LAVA board is completely ready to go and has been sitting in the ready queue for months awaiting the S-100 board reorders, etc to clear out. What’s next depends on which board completes first either the S-100 68K CPU board or the S-100 80286 CPU board. I am guessing the S-100 68K CPU board since it is at 204 vias versus the S-100 80286 CPU board at 292 vias.
I hope this helps! Have a happy holidays!