RE: [N8VEM-S100:3500] Phantom of the S-100

The IEEE-696 definition of the Phantom line states:-

“The Phantom* line is provided for overlaying bus slaves at a common address location.  When this line is activated, phantom bus slaves are enabled and normal slaves are disabled.”

I read this as, yes, both RAM and port addresses.  Normally a total card disappears from the bus if it is monitoring the phantom line, via its board select (BS) line.

Do not confuse a master/slave switchover and a phantom line call.  The latter is always done by the current master (can be any one of 16 total) .

It’s up to you how you want your RAM to behave on your CPU board.  It can be local to the board -- as for example is the ROM on our Z80 board, or shared with other CPU’s. The former has the advantage that it does not get in the way  where that CPU is no longer the bus master.  If it is visible when the CPU is no longer the bus master, you can still use that RAM.  However you will have to phantom out any overlap with other RAM board  if present when that slave is the current bus master.

Nothing special about access. As I said phantom normally just inactivates a board select line.  Unless you are using DRAM’s (a whole other situation),  memory RD/WR signals should be fine.

Take a look at the phantom line on our old 4MB Static RAM board

http://s100computers.com/My%20System%20Pages/RAM%20Board/4MG%20RAM%20Board.htm

Hope this helps

John