[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [N8VEM-S100:3063] GAL's and PALASM
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: [N8VEM-S100:3063] GAL's and PALASM
- From: David Riley <frave...@gmail.com>
- Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 11:29:16 -0400
- Authentication-results: gmr-mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of frave...@gmail.com designates 2607:f8b0:400d:c01::22f as permitted sender) smtp.mail=frave...@gmail.com; dkim=pass head...@gmail.com; dmarc=pass (p=NONE dis=NONE) header.from=gmail.com
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=content-type:mime-version:subject:from:in-reply-to:date :content-transfer-encoding:message-id:references:to; bh=ksEh7dUNN+5WblhcGKGWjxmFcwMFLSGL/T9/+E+C3xg=; b=jwojSDUS4ttXNwVZZTZN1E+dqCErsOB1YPRqo2fkKHOiQersy1QQsCeDB1RseA9QlM fR1yC2J8N3hd7r0A2cLdwtLkVoUJ9OmDmoFyr2gLLUfvl+up/Zsqol1m2F2djDczS/8C 9CYBI/tNDZOwkkYWyo8s2//dG+OOzQyotsT+7KCMQf4DWy+Q4y4twyqW/VdG2zhBDVPk veO8kaO3DMbhAlSp3LuZ3O4rdocpnesan2nh+NSh9OqmWPjhMvRejWoAwg8f1UoeG1Bm 68o8V3KBJ3Uz+mP17v0h8THG9vlSvPZVo4MSY4Cdo7QfseImS+PkEsX4iQRKKlPaAret YDLA==
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Apr 9, 2014, at 1:45 AM, monahanz <mon...@vitasoft.org> wrote:
> Guy's just wanted to mention I have "see religion" in terms of using GAL's to simplify our future more complex S100 boards.
> As we move to CPU's like the 80486 and higher it is clear the 74LSxxx chips alone will not fit on a single S100 board to carry out the functions of these CPU's. I have also concluded that I will need them for out ISA to S100 bus converter board and XVGA type video boards. These are all projects in the works and will probably not see the light of day for some months.
> To expose GAL's to those that may not be fully aware of them, I have written up a short introduction here:-
GALs are great, and they're period-appropriate for the machines you're talking about (PALs even more so). The original Macintosh achieved its size only because of heavy use of PALs. GALs have equivalent modes to PALs, and are great for prototyping before burning a PAL permanently (which you might want to do if you wanted to be more period-appropriate).
If anyone wants PALs/GALs burned and doesn't have the equipment, I'll be glad to do it for the cost of parts and shipping (just shipping if you send me the parts) if you have the bitfile; I have a ROM burner that does them just fine. Just email me privately.