[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
RE: [N8VEM-S100:2877] Run of Dual CF-Card/Hard Disk IDE S-100 Boards
- To: <n8vem...@googlegroups.com>
- Subject: RE: [N8VEM-S100:2877] Run of Dual CF-Card/Hard Disk IDE S-100 Boards
- From: "Eric Osman" <er...@osmancrew.com>
- Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 23:30:27 -0700
- Authentication-results: gmr-mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com: 2001:558:fe2d:43:76:96:30:32 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of er...@osmancrew.com) smtp.mail=er...@osmancrew.com; dkim=pass head...@comcast.net
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20140121; t=1395556518; bh=QEEJphUOObyCT5M/GLeVAWyC4F8By3Ce3lCd+u5i3C8=; h=Received:Received:Reply-To:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=QsZutpb9AL2YBUf92J+cfCIHzEoYwFI9BY/mq0lVRmUtM6l6w3g8cKx26xOmmLY0A iN51fRmW78TXbOqylx88ZsMow8ph87lDRBmTtU5Kgv+LLpilp2s8qN9hd1OOh0VSGS pXN7KZjOdPyw4vRTPrgv1SqtBAguBX4jaOuq934oRoywb+r7XJdKuuEs4YZt4ODImB /wRxdkLcSQ1j8gYKcFDkxkIh0eeB8k9gSdbJA8WZuLDCa3WsJ3bB83fiYw14W2FITK WMNGMH2c1uhTvky+1Pu16zN7IZYJzZixvRV98JtanYcyC2M0rBNIORSwY+DNVFdMIl kL4ToLgJW71Lw==
- Importance: Normal
- In-reply-to: <8D11461CBF0C7E5-13F8-49C8A@webmail-m130.sysops.aol.com>
- Reply-to: <er...@osmancrew.com>
flame from here, Roger, but I will say that I was quite happy with the
assistance I got a little over a year ago when I showed up on the forum with a
well-fried Altair. John and Josh in particular were very welcoming and
helpful (thanks again, guys!). It helps a lot if you can ask specific
questions vs. generalities, but that's true everywhere.
>> However, I withdraw my
optimistic order of maybe 2. I have since looked at the page
>> such things from your
link and it is so far above my head, I have no business ordering, but...
I hesitate answering your
message, but maybe my input will help you decide? I am a "lurker" to this
group. I bought a lot of the early boards (they were more Z80 oriented,
but now the focus seems to be more toward the 80x6 and MSDog). I had no
trouble getting the CF boards to work (both of the early versions (v1 and
v2??)). I had no trouble getting the serial card to work, although I was
not much interested in the voice output side of things, and converted that
function to support a uDrive (from 4DSystems). I was "on a roll" and
envisioned putting a new S-100 system together, including a FAST Z80 CPU, EPROM
board, SRAM board, and floppy controller (ZFDC). BUT, that all depended on
getting the Z80 card to work. (I have a *raft* of 4 MHZ Z80 cards, so the real
attraction for me was 6, 8 or even 10 MHz). Alas, I couldn't get the Z80
card to work at all, so my "project" came to a screeching halt at that point.
Why bother about the rest without the newer, faster Z80 CPU??? But
the CF cards work great, and the serial card does too. What you need to
consider is that the focus of this group is fabricating and distributing S-100
cards. If you need any help beyond minimal, you will probably not get it.
Many of these boards are "jumper rich" environments, and I find that even
getting a definitive list of jumper configurations is difficult. To be
fair, the stated ground rules are that these cards are not for the
inexperienced, and they come with the "big boy warranty". I am not
"inexperienced" (I have designed and built two Z80 SBC's and now have a 68k
prototype of my own design, with 1 MB (soon to be 2) of SRAM, running at 8 MHz
(soon to be 10, 12, or maybe even 16??) -- oh, and by the way, I purchased two
of the S-100 68k boards, but was unable to get it working either). If you
are interested in these SBC projects, have a look at my Web page:
www.hanscom.us. I digress ... the point is that you ought not sell
yourself short, but keep in mind that if you get into trouble, unless you are a
close friend of somebody with equipment (and the will and time to help), you
will be on your own.
Now, I'm going to put on my
asbestos suit! *grin*
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "N8VEM-S100" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving
emails from it, send an email to n8vem-s100+...@googlegroups.com.
more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.